Donating a pint of blood in blood donating camps certainly makes us feel so good about ourselves. As blood cannot be made or manufactured, therefore its value is something we all know. Cancer patients, patients undergoing surgery, and accident victims are the ones who need blood on an emergency basis. But it is also true that by being a blood donor, we also avail a number of benefits. The benefits are mostly health related. Let’s look:
Reasons why donating blood is more than just a noble act
- Reduces your risk of heart disease: Yes, as per the reports published in AJE (the American Journal of Epidemiology), people who donate blood on a regular basis are 33 percent less prone to cardiovascular diseases. In fact, they are 88 percent less likely to have a heart attack! When you donate blood once or twice a year, the level of iron in your blood is reduced. In case you don’t know, a high level of iron in the blood can lead to a wide range of health issues, such as muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, enlarged liver, and decreased libido.
- Free mini-medical check-up: In any blood donation camp, your blood’s haemoglobin count is checked and your blood pressure is also measured. This is done to ensure that you are a fit candidate for blood donation. You have to pay something to get these two tests done at any private clinic. So, donating blood has some monetary benefits too!
- Reduces the risk of cancer: When you donate blood consistently, your body’s oxidative stress gets reduced. As a matter of fact, a high level of oxidative stress is one of the reasons behind cancers like colon cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, and even throat cancer. By donating blood twice a year, you can make yourself less prone to such deadly diseases.
- It helps burn calories: Each time you donate blood, you end up burning up to 600 calories. During the process of donation, your body has to work harder to replenish itself. Even though the figure is not quite a significant one, but we can still consider it is as one of the benefits.
- The feel-good factor: When you know that the blood donated by you will be used for saving lives, it does make you feel a lot better about yourself. In simple words, donating blood can have positive effects on contentment. It would not be wrong to say that you would feel like a superhero!
So, those are some of the many advantages of being a blood donor. Being a responsible citizen, you must spread awareness about blood donation. We must work together to make this world a better place. Donating a pint of blood is certainly one of the best ways to do it, the other is to protect yourself with Reliance Health Insurance.